[rochester-pm-list] Gtk+ and Perl

Shawn Porter sporter at rit.net
Fri Jul 16 17:26:53 CDT 1999

Have any of you messed with Gtk+ and Perl?

I've just started messing with it and it is very cool.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

First, I wrote a program yesterday that basically runs tcpdump to listen
for data from a certain IP address.  Whenever it recieves some data on
that port it will parse it and display some output to the terminal.

Yesterday I wanted to put a GUI on this little app so I decided to try
Gtk+ and Perl together.  I've figured out how to create a window with Gtk+
and even to put the text I want into it. Unfortunately, I've done very
little GUI programming so I'm not sure how to handle everything.

So far my program will create a window, run tcpdump, and then update the
window based on tcpdump's output.  Unfortunately, it will only do this
once.  I want it to run tcpdump continuously and whenever it gives output
to update the window.  Whenever I get it to run continuously, it won't
ever update the window.  Arggh...

If you have any idea what I'm talking about, please check out my code and
give me some suggestions.  I'm attaching two files.  ctimon.pl is the
working terminal-based version.  gtkctimon.pl is my try at doing this with
Gtk+ and Perl.

--
Shawn Porter
http://www.rit.net/sporter