[rochester-pm-list] Glad to see Rochester PM

Tony Witte tjwitte at shell.servtech.com
Wed Jan 20 06:33:56 CST 1999

I've been perl-ing only for a short while.  Actually I got into it
gradually.  Two years ago I modified a form-to-email script for our web
site and had no idea what I was doing, but managed to get it to work.
Then last spring I was determined to get a search engine up on our web
site, and had to learn some perl.  That was followed by installing a
message board (Selena Sol/extropia.com script) with a couple of useful
modifications. Last summer a local mortician asked if we could post
obituaries on our community web site.  I didn't want to have to code
those obits myself, so I wrote a cgi script so the morticians' can load
the obits themselves. Now I really had the perl bug.  So when our library
director asked me to write a cgi so she can post a list of new books, I
was thrilled.

I am a family physician and computerphile in Dansville, a village of
5000.  I am co-webmaster for our community web site
Dansville Community Home Page
http://dansville.lib.ny.us
and I dare say it is a great resource for the community.

I also volunteer at our local library and school district, helping with
various computer issues.

Some of my scripts are posted on my URL.
http://www.servtech.com/~tjwitte/tony.html
Feel free to use them. I'm particularly fond of the mailing list script
and the book list.

So far in learning Perl I used Quigley's "Perl by Example" but was
particulary helped by O'Reilly's "Learning Perl," and "Quick Reference
Guide."  And the site http://www.cgi101.com/ was very helpful as well.

Tony Witte
Dansville, NY