[rochester-pm-list] Perl Webpage Publishing Systems

David Simcik dts7209 at rit.edu
Mon Feb 15 20:11:15 CST 1999

Hmmmm...this may not help to clarify and will sound a bit rudimentary, but
here goes. If you look at any "big" portal site say, CNET or ZDNET, you'll
notice that their URL's have Perl parameters in them, even though though they
are not passing form data. In essence, this is how they manage their archive
of thousands of articles
at their sites. I can only assume this type of script would be placed under
the category of "document management" or "document publishing". Maybe it's
just a template built in Perl that they use to maintain consistency?

Here's an example from Webmonkey:
http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/perl/?tw=perl

And CNET:
http://www.cnet.com/Content/Gadgets/Special/DigitalTV/?st.cn.fd.gen.gp

But then again, here's an example URL from DevHead (doesn't look like a
parameter, but what does it all mean???):
http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/stories/articles/0,4413,1600169,00.html

I hope that helps to clarify a little. I think what I'm going for here is some
sort of document management automation. I think I also just confused the hell
out of lot of people!

Thanks again.
Dave