[rochester-pm-list] DBI-DBD and Oracle

Fred Edmister fedm at pkcommunications.com
Wed Dec 1 11:39:28 CST 1999

At 12:25 PM 12/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
	Ok... Here's the code... :)

{begin code}
use DBI;
     my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Oracle:pkcom2','username','passwd')
        or die "Couldn't connect to database: " . DBI->errstr;
     my $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT * FROM stores_master WHERE store_id = ?')
        or die "Couldn't prepare statement: " . $dbh->errstr;
              print "Enter name> ";
              while ($lastname = <>) {      # Read input from the user
                  my @data;
                  chomp $lastname;
                  $sth->execute($lastname)             # Execute the query
                  or die "Couldn't execute statement: " . $sth->errstr;
                  # Read the matching records and print them out
                  while (@data = $sth->fetchrow_array()) {
                    my $firstname = $data[1];
                    my $id = $data[2];
                      print "\t$id: $firstname $lastname\n";
                      }

                  if ($sth->rows == 0) {
                     print "No names matched `$lastname'.\n\n";
                      }
                    print "\n";
                    print "Enter name> ";
                    }

                  $sth->finish;
                 $dbh->disconnect;
{end code}

	At this point, it's just a "hacked" version of the example from where I
got the files.. I've managed to make it connect... Now I'm getting that
error...
	Thank you very much!  :)

>ORA-01722 error indicates a failed conversion of a character string to a
number.
>It's likely that the insert statement in misordered.  Be sure that the
columns match up
>correctly.
>
>It's also possible that you didn't strip a '$' of a currency amount or
something similar.

>If you post your code, I'd be able to help more.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>--Pat Ludwig

	Fred Edmister
	PK Communications