[Community_studios] i286

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Tue May 28 11:32:43 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 06:07, you wrote:

> > my neighbour has given me i286 computer. I wonder what i can use this
> computer for ? Router ? Mail server ? I have heard about freesco setup as
> router (basic linux core) but i was told i486 is minimum requirements...
> Any ideas ?
>
> --
> DeBug

Hi:  In 1983, " Inexpensive microprocessors such as the Motorola 68000 and
the Intel I286 become available. Old and new computer vendors take advantage
of these processors and networking particular that provided in 4.2BSD, to
produce networked workstations."  So, make a workstation!  Actually, maybe a
mail server would be nice.  Then, a router.  Should be interesting.  See if
Debian or Slackware will sit on it?  Let us know what you do.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/