[DMCA_Discuss] Movie and TV Industries Force SonicBlue to Spy on Customers

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Fri May 3 11:39:21 CDT 2002

Hi:  Gee, this sounds like a good deal.  Makes you want to run out and buy
one, eh?  Sort of fits with the RIAA toilet dilemma for viewer position
they've adopted.

"A federal magistrate in Los Angeles has ordered SonicBlue to spy on
thousands of digital video recorder users -- monitoring every show they
record, every commercial they skip and every program they send electronically
to a friend."

`It's an incredible invasion of privacy,'' said Fred von Lohmann, an
intellectual property expert for the Electronic Frontier Foundation. ``But
second -- and equally important -- is what the Electronic Frontier Foundation
and others have been saying was going to happen now for some time. Basically,
under the guise of copyright laws, courts are going to be put in a position
of telling technology companies how to build their products.''

The above quotes leave no doubt in my mind that M$ is celebrating, and
rolling out their DRM with additional privacy intrusion features, they never
thought possible.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV