[Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Copyright is essentially wrong (I'm surprised no one's mentioned this from today's)

Alex alex at synchcorp.com
Thu May 2 22:27:03 CDT 2002

Ah, and here's were we start getting into the muddy waters of why copyrights
came into fashion in the first place. If the original author(s) of 1001 Arabian
Nights could have copyrighted their works, Disney couldn't have made (alas, are
STILL making) a gazillion bucks on Alladin's tale, while they (or their
descendants) make no money and live in relative anonymity. Although copyrights
are damaging to the creative process of those not holding said copyrights, they
do help to keep the copyright holders from gettting totally screwed by
companies that would abuse the spirit of their creations. "In a perfect
world..." people would be honorable, and not abuse creative people's inate
generosity. However, as long as we have the RIAA, Disney, Microsoft and other
assimilators who take credit and money for other people's work, it's either
resort to the protection copyrights afford, or resign yourself to the fact that
you're about to be majorly abused.

We need to get rid of people who would rape and pillage our knowledge and
creations, and the issue of copyrights would go away on its own. And THAT would
be a perfect world...

How many more years until Mickey Mouse becomes Public Domain? We'll screw
Disney back!   8^)

Alex Heizer
http://www.synchcorp.com/alex
http://www.synchcorp.com/alexheizer