Question about status of SVG

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Sun Jun 16 11:09:47 CDT 2002

Hi, Dean:  I'm copying this to a couple of journalists, as I think this might
be of interest.  Below, I've left the previous correspondence attached, so
that we can all be on the same page, so-to-speak.

I wasn't quite sure how to take your response, "Is this enough detail for
you?", so I have had the message sitting in my Batik mail folder for a few
days.

I need to ask, just what you intended by stating, "- - - there are patents,
but they are available on royalty-free terms (as long as you don't sue the
patent holders for infringing your patents)."  That is one of the most absurd
statements I've been subjected to.  No offense, as I believe you were
absolutely sincere in writing it.  If you have time, I would appreciate your
explaining why you wrote that in response to my original request.

I need the patent information and the names of the patent holders, and their
contact addresses.  I will arrange for a Memorandum of Understanding.  A
Memorandum of Understanding, as you know, cuts both ways, and should provide
assurance that they, as patent holders will not sue me for royalty fees.
Most people would probably expect the W3.org to hold such a Memorandum of
Understanding on behalf of all of the world community.  Unless I'm mistaken,
this approach is not currently being followed.

Your article, which seemed to be written as a spokesperson for the W3.org
standards body on SVG makes no mention of patent encumberances:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/06/06/svg_future.html

I look forward to hearing from you.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe