[fsl-discuss] Why ADTI's Whitepaper dislikes copyleft/GPL, and why it's not even applicable ...

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Tue Jun 11 14:03:14 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 10:09, Karsten M. Self wrote:

- - -snip - - -
> This is marginally on topic.  If not a final word, some damned good ones
> were made by David Skoll, posted to The Register and his own site:
>
>    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25659.html
>    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/adti2.php3
>
> As several of the usual suspects are reporting, MITRE's study makes for
> far more informed reading than ADTI's:
>
> http://www.mitre.org/support/papers/tech_papers_01/kenwood_software/index.s
>html
>
> Peace.

Hi:  The part I like best, is where ADTI states the plight of our government
should it choose to GPL its' software needs.  The ADTI says, in effect, the
government would be excluding competition and limiting vendors.  Well, in
response, if the government chooses GPL'd software as the way to go, we
instantly increase the vendors about a gazillion-fold, bringing in every
one-man shop to bid on the contracts.  Even better, all the proprietary
vendors would be able to compete on "equal footing" as-it-were.  Weird stuff,
these idiots profess.
Thanks,
Tom
http://www.studioforrecording.org/