[Community_studios] Re: Fwd: Re: [fsl-discuss]RedHat Patent Policy

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Thu Jun 6 08:45:26 CDT 2002

On Thursday 06 June 2002 01:32, De Bug wrote:
> [...]
- - -snip - - -

> All that makes me confident that copyrights and patents must be thrown away
> completely if copy-left software is safe to use Red-Hat patented code why
> non-copy left software should be discriminated ?
> (Copy-left means that modified versions must provide the same freedoms as
> the original work, non-copy left does not require modified versions to
> comply with this ruling)
>
> I think Red-Hat maked a big strategic mistake for
> I as open-source and free software advertiser and developer cant accept
> patents on ideas and i think many others neigther will accept it.
> Red-Hat will safe its business in that way but will bury free-software
> movement :(
>
> --
> De Bug

Hi:  I imagine there are many that agree with you.  What is most revealing
about their "real" intent, is that they did this patent[s] knowing that
Lawrence Lessig and crew put up the Creative Commons [
http://www.creativecommons.org/ ] specifically to address this issue.

As far as I'm concerned, they're just one more proprietary company.
Thanks,
Tom