[DMCA_Discuss] WIPOUT ANNOUNCES CONTEST WINNERS

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Fri Apr 26 13:03:05 CDT 2002

Hi:  I hope this gets widespread publicity.  I mean, widespread!  Required
reading for CARP, RIAA, Congress, Disney.  Every one of them should be
required to respond to each essay.  Then, we hang 'em by their toes.
Thanks,
Tom
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

On Friday 26 April 2002 09:15, Jon O. wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Alan Story <a.c.story at ukc.ac.uk> -----

> From: "Alan Story" <a.c.story at ukc.ac.uk>
> Subject: WIPOUT ANNOUNCES CONTEST WINNERS
> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:34:43 +0100
>
> Press release from WIPOUT                      contact at wipout.net
>
> 26 April 2002                                              www.wipout.net
>
> WIPOUT ANNOUNCES ITS CONTEST WINNERS
>
> WIPOUT, the international intellectual property counter-essay contest,
> today announces its eleven winners on the day that has been tagged “World
> Intellectual Property Day” by the World Intellectual Property Organisation
> (WIPO).
>
> The winners, selected by an international panel of judges, live in six
> countries across the globe and submitted essays in four different
> languages: English, French, German, and Spanish. They are named below and
> are also available on the WIPOUT web site at:  www.wipout.net
>
> “The obvious interest in the counter-essay contest and the high quality of
> the entries show that a growing number of people are dissenting from WIPO’s
> dangerous stance that more and more extensive protection of more and more
> forms of intellectual property is a good thing,” the WIPOUT co-chairs
> stated today.
>
> A total of 77 essays were submitted from 18 countries in response to the
> question: WHAT DOES INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY MEAN TO YOU IN YOUR DAILY LIFE?
>
> Earlier in 2001, WIPO, a United Nations organisation, had set up an essay
> contest that asked the same question. But WIPOUT organisers decided that a
> WIPO-sponsored contest would fail to appreciate the damage that the
> over-protection of intellectual property is doing to education, health
> care, the environment, and economic security for millions around the globe.
>
> As Noam Chomsky, one of the more than 50 individuals and groups who
> endorsed WIPOUT said, this counter contest reminds people that “this harsh
> regime [of intellectual property rights] is designed to grant multinational
> corporations control over the technology of the future
it really is a
> scandal.”  (The complete list of contest endorsers can be found at:
> http://www.wipout.net/endorsers.html ).
>
> All of the 77 essays submitted, including the winning essays, are available
> on the WIPOUT site, www.wipout.net .The essays to WIPOUT came from the USA,
> UK, Republic of South Africa, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Japan,
> Australia, Greece, Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Netherlands,
> New Zealand, France, People's Republic of China and Bulgaria.
>
> Among other issues, the 77 essays reveal:
>
> - how illiterate persons in South Africa are required to pay copyright
> royalty fees if they wish to learn to read
and hence don’t get the
> opportunity.
> -  how the conductor of a volunteer church choir in the United States could
> not lead his choir in a proper public performance, again because of
> copyright restrictions;
> -  how drug patents are blocking access to desperately needed anti HIV/AIDS
> drugs
and again, how copyright royalties are charged for anti-HIV health