[seul-edu] Re: Unified Front...

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Thu Apr 25 15:44:40 CDT 2002

The Red Hat's alternative proposal includes the following:
Microsoft redirects the value of their proposed software donation to the
purchase of additional hardware for the school districts. This would increase
the number of computers available under the original proposal from 200,000 to
more than one million, and would increase the number of systems per school
from approximately 14 to at least 70.
Red Hat, Inc. will provide free of charge the open-source Red Hat Linux
operating system, office applications and associated capabilities to any
school system in the United States.
Red Hat will provide online support for the software through the Red Hat
Network.
Unlike the Microsoft proposal, which has a five-year time limit at which
point schools would have to pay Microsoft to renew their licenses and upgrade
the software, the Red Hat proposal has no time limit. Red Hat will provide
software upgrades through the Red Hat Network online distribution channel.

Hi: It's the phrase, "- - -through Red Hat Network online distribution
channel" that makes me wonder if there are hidden costs to schools, and what
they might end up being?
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV