Fwd: [seul-edu] Extremadura to use linux at schools.

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Mon Apr 22 17:28:58 CDT 2002

Subject: [seul-edu] Extremadura to use linux at schools.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:02:01 -0700
From: Paul Bauer <paul at shorttermwhat.com>
To: seul-edu at seul.org

Considering the thread on this mailing list today, I thought I would post
 this here.

<snip>
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51994,00.html

Extremadura Measures: Linux
By Julia Scheeres

3:06 p.m. April 19, 2002 PDT
The poorest region of Spain has adopted Linux as the official operating
 system of public schools and offices, in hopes of improving the area's vast
 technological and economic lag.

The move by the Autonomous Community of Extremadura, a rural zone that
 borders Portugal, will mark the first time a European public school system
 has switched to open source, said Luis Millán Vázquez de Miguel, the
 community's minister of education, science and technology.

The government has burned 80,000 CDs with the
Debian Linux operating system and software ranging
from text editors to an Internet browser. The disks
will be sent to the area's 670 schools and distributed
to the public through newspaper inserts.

</snip>

#Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
#Linux: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
#BSD: Are you guys coming or what?