[Community_studios] Fwd: [GKD] Small Towns Build Their Own High-Speed Internet Systems

Alex alex at synchcorp.com
Sun Apr 21 12:47:39 CDT 2002

Tom,

It just shows that America hasn't changed much in some ways. Anyone remember
the Company Store? Where government is swayed by big business, ordinary
citizens get the shaft.

On one hand, the corporations tell the government what's best for their
constituents, and the government, having no contrary opinion, makes a
decision based on the information available to them at the moment. On the
other hand, people are so used to getting screwed around and either just
complaining about it or just breaking the "unjust" law that they never seem
to fight the corporations on the same playing field. It's always the
corporations act and the people react, never the two acting at the same
time.

The problem comes in when laws are created to prevent competition to the
monopoly. I couldn't care less if my competitor is Verizon and I want to set
up my own ISP, just don't make it illegal for me to compete and I'll be
fine. I can't believe anyone would be moronic enough to believe that making
it illegal for someone to start a business in a locality that others are
legally operating in the same locality would be good for anything. Anything
except a bunch of criminals maintaining monopoly power.

Alex Heizer
http://www.synchcorp.com/alex
http://www.synchcorp.com/alexheizer