[Community_studios] Re: [suse-schools-usa] Fwd: [alg] Was in Linuxjournal now /.ed

Alex alex at synchcorp.com
Fri Apr 19 12:00:07 CDT 2002

Good point. How else do people learn how things work? The fastest way people
learn is by taking apart things to see why they work. I learned the most about
computers in one sitting the day I first installed Slackware Linux, because it
made me look at each piece of hardware and figure out what was going on. Then it
made me break down the OS itself to figure out how it all fit together --
mke2fs, fdisk, devices, packets, processes... the list goes on. Do you think
Windoze with their "you don't need to know what we're doing while we install
ourselves for you, just sit back and trust us to do it all correctly out of
sight of your prying eyes" mentality actually helps people to learn about how a
computer works? Show me a room full of 100 computer-illiterate IT professionals
and I'll show you 100 MCSEs. Show me a room full of 100 people that use and
understand Linux, and I'll show you 100 people qualified to fix, troubleshoot or
upgrade any computer in the world.

Alex Heizer
http://www.synchcorp.com/alex
http://www.synchcorp.com/alexheizer