Fwd: How to id all RAND "standards" Question

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Wed Apr 17 22:35:15 CDT 2002

Hello:  This is maybe a good question that you might assist with?  I'd really
appreciate any advice, pointers, suggestions or comments on how to get a
"tally" on what is what.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

Subject: How to id all RAND "standards" Question
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:14:05 -0700
From: tom poe <tompoe at renonevada.net>
To: "DMCA" <dmca_discuss at lists.microshaft.org>

Hi:  I've spent the last week trying to communicate with the W3.org folks in
an effort to get a handle on a clear and easy to read list of W3.org
standards and categorized as to whether these standards are either
royalty-free, or RAND [patent-encumbered].  Does anyone know where I might
get such an organized list that's authoritative and can be relied upon?

I can't help but worry that the proposed legislative assault is going to
somehow integrate controls that include utilization of patent-encumbered
standards to the benefit of corporations such as IBM and Microsoft in the
case of ebXML, and others.  A fellow named Thomas Fielding [of Apache fame]
wrote a nice dissertation on http and did a good job of laying out some of
the options for the future of the Internet.  In the face of such logic, we
somehow are all caught up in attempts to move away from this standard for
communicating, through proprietary protocols.  This begs the question, Why?
I recommend the dissertation as some interesting reading.
http://www1.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top

Thanks,
Tom