[DMCA_Discuss] IEEE Adds DMCA Clause for Submitted Papers

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Mon Apr 15 19:33:42 CDT 2002

On Monday 15 April 2002 16:26, Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 12:41  PM, Jon O. wrote:
> > http://slashdot.org/articles/02/04/14/166232.shtml?tid=103
> >
> > IEEE Adds DMCA Clause for Submitted Papers
> > Posted by timothy on Sunday April 14, @12:41PM
> > from the just-sign-here dept.
> > xpccx writes: "Newsforge has this blurb about the IEEE changing its
> > 'IEEE Copyright Form' for submissions to the 'IEEE Copyright Transfer &
> > Export Control Compliance Form.' From the IEEE site: 'While the IEEE
> > standard manuscript submission process has always required authors to
> > represent that the necessary clearances and approvals have been
> > obtained, the newly revised Form now requires the author's explicit
> > affirmation that the manuscript does not violate U.S. export laws or
> > restrictions.' And specifically from the new form, 'The undersigned
> > further warrants that the publication or dissemination of the Work
> > shall not violate any proprietary right or the Digital Copyright
> > Millennium Act (the "DCMA").' Maybe the IEEE just wants to protect
> > itself from DMCA lawsuits, but I hope their intention is not to abandon
> > authors who get sued."
>
> Just another line in the EFF's amicus brief.... no First Amendment
> scrutiny my <CENSORED>...

Hi:  My understanding is, that as a result of policies implemented in the
mid-nineties through some "White Paper" recommendation put up by our favorite
Bruce Lehman, and his grand vision of the Information Age, that "intellectual
property" would avoid First Amendment issues.  However, in order to
accomplish that goal, "they" had to get to a point where copyright and
patents were handled by a global "doorway", controlled by a singular body.
Until then, First Amendment issues remain legitimate, don't they?

>From way down here, I would, if I were an illustrious author/IT expert,
kindly publicize at great length my declination to present a paper, and move
to another medium or venue, whatever.  That is an unacceptable policy for our
government to implement.  I wonder just how long, now, before we see a
"standardized, government DMCA" clause on every document?
Thanks,
Tom
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/