[Community_studios] Re: [suse-schools-usa] Whoa

Alex alex at synchcorp.com
Thu Apr 11 19:07:14 CDT 2002

tom poe wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 April 2002 20:02, Andrew Choens wrote:
> - - - snip - - -
>  I looked over your
> > site.  What you guys are doing is terrific.  I printed it to show some
> > other people.  I thought it was great.  I like the tone.  There was the
> > obligatory plug for Open Source Development, but no long drawn out treatise
> > on why Linux is the greatest thing since fried rice.  When you get into
> > working with the community at large, Linux/Open Source is going to be a
> > hard sell sometimes.  We'll have to roll with the punches. I'd seen the K12
> > page before.  That project is awesome.  However, it sounds as if they are
> > in a very unique position.  They have a wired school, and an Open Source
> > Advocate in the IT department.  Most schools are lucky to hire someone who
> > knows how to turn on a computer, let alone someone with this man's skills.
> > Very awesome stuff.  With all of his talk of computers elsewhere in the
> > school and the kids having computers at home, I think its safe to guess
> > that this is a school in a wealthy community. Ironically/unfortunately, the
> > kids who can benefit the most from what you are trying to do, probably
> > won't have access to computers at home.  Most of the ideas I have read for
> > using Linux in this sort of an environment use thin clients.  These in
> > turn, cost money.  I've been meaning to sit down and experiment with a 486
> > and PII 200 that I've got here and see how much a 486 can get away with
> > using IceWm and running KOffice or Open Office over a small network.  As of
> > yet, this experiment has yet to occur. I know the 486 used to run Win95, so
> > it should be able to handle what I want. Here's something I've been
> > thinking about.  To obtain computers, we should go straight to businesses.
> > I got the 486 donated to me from a company I worked for in high-school.  It
> > came with a monitor too.  There are lots of machines sitting around
> > collecting dust.  RAM is cheap.  These machines may have a future yet, if
> > we can get to them.  Servers would have to be newer of course. As for
> > schools, who have you contacted in the local school system?  It might be
> > worth the time to schedule a chat with a few principals, see if any of them
> > has a dream or an itch.  Community organizing has to coincide with a
> > need/itch of the community.  Its there, you just got to find the right
> > person. Camp Lotsafun sounds perfect for a place to implement something.
> > They may be willing to take a risk on the idea.  If you can succeed here,
> > you can use this as an example to a school that your ideas work and you can
> > pull it off. One idea that will need to be addressed is maintenance of the
> > system.  These groups/schools will probably need help every so often to
> > keep their computers going.  Does your group have the manpower to help in
> > this regard?  Just something to keep in mind. I'm all about getting
> > involved (from a long-distance perspective).  As things get off the ground,
> [...]

Don't forget, Andrew, you asked about support from the group -- I've had
excellent support from the entire Linux community since the first day I ever
installed Slackware96! Let's not limit our support options to one small
organization when there are millions of helpful Linux users around the world. :)

Between my father, my brother and I, we've been "donated" at least 8 Linux-able
PCs to my family, they're not really that hard to come by, you just need to know
where to look (like at other people's curbs the day before trash pickup! :)

Alex Heizer
http://www.synchcorp.com/alex
http://www.synchcorp.com/alexheizer