[suse-schools-usa] Print to win 98 server

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Thu Apr 11 11:16:12 CDT 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 09:00, David Herman wrote:
> People are always writing about printing from windows but my problem is
> the opposite.
>
> I just installed suse 7.2 pro on a couple of dell optiplex150 at my
> daughters school. The classrooms each have their own router for net/lan.
> One of the win 98 machines has a printer which all other machines in
> the class print to.
>
> question 1) What do I need to do to have the linux box print to the Win
> 98 machine. (I have no networking experience) (yet ;-)
>
> Question 2) This will probably make question 1 mute. I believe the
> printer that the server uses is a gdi printer (lexmark z12 if I
> remember) Can I print to this since Windows is acting as the server or
> do I need a "real" printer.
>
> This is a 4th/5th grade classroom, the kids ask "Why would I want to
> use linux. I'm going to have a hard time answering that satisfactorilly
> if they can't print out their work.

Hi, David:  Do you know whether Samba is set up to read directories from the
network computers?  If you can locate whoever set up the network, they can
show you how it's setup, and what it looks like on a diagram.  Then, the
others on this list can give you feedback on what to check for, and where to
get the info you need to make those kids really happy.  And, if you share
your situation with us, we all learn, together.  Especially the stuff about
how to get schools excited about bringing in donated computers and Open
Source SuSE !

Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV