[Rehovot-pm] Rehovot Perl Mongers - first meeting on 17 November

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:24:58 PST 2009

Hi,

this list was dormant in last 3 years so let's wake it up a bit.

Thanks to Dr. Jaime Prilusky we are going to have a fixed
place for monthly meetings in the Weizmann Institute of Science.

First meeting:

Date:        Tuesday November 17, 2009 from 18:00-22:00

Location:   Room 101 in the Levine Building (number 30 on the map at
                http://www.weizmann.ac.il/maps/campus3.gif and
                http://www.weizmann.ac.il/maps/all_campus.pdf)
                The Weizmann Institute is a few minutes walk from the Rehovot
                train station, shown in the maps.

Content:
   18:00-19:00  We are going to have one or possibly two speakers giving an
        overview about Matlab. Then someone - possibly me - will introduce
        PDL - the Perl Data Language.

19:00-22:00 We'll start to work in pairs learning to use PDL in general and
       as a replacement of Matlab. We will write example script and add to
       the documentation of PDL with a focus on the "PDL for Matlab users"
       document I started to write a few days ago:
       http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pdl/index.php?title=PDL_for_Matlab_users

       PDL: http://pdl.perl.org/
       Matlab: http://www.mathworks.com/

Who should attend?

I think both Matlab users without Perl experience and Perl
programmers without Matlab experience will be able to learn
and to contribute. So both groups are welcome!
Even if you don't have much experience in either of those you
can come and see what are we doing.

Fee:        Entrance is free of charge.

RSVP:     If you are planning to come to the meeting please send
me an e-mail so I'll have a rough estimate of the number of people.

PR:         Please forward this message to people in companies
and higher-educational institutes  that could be interested

Question: if you have any questions, please ask it on the mailing list.

regards
   Gabor
--
Gabor Szabo