[Raleigh-talk] Integrating newer version of a perl module into the perl distribution...

Jason Purdy jason at purdy.info
Wed Feb 4 12:06:44 PST 2009

I feel pretty meek saying this, given you probably already know this, James,
but my approach would be to leave the source tree sacrosanct and put your
newer module in some other place and then make sure that other place is
higher up in the @INC list.

In the past, I've been banging my head in trying to build debian packages
for more up-to-date perl modules (it's sad how out-of-date they can get) and
Cees Hek finally hammered cpan (cpanplus, really) into me where it won't
mess w/ the debian "core." So when I want to get a Perl module, I *cpanp* it
and it installs somewhere else (/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8), overriding the
out-of-date version that Debian has.

Cheers,

Jason