[Raleigh-talk] creating a backdated CPAN repo from an autobundle

Brad Oaks bradoaks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:09:36 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 1:27 AM, Shawn Hood <shawnlhood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> First of all, I'm Shawn -- a newcomer to Perl (by virtue of needing to
> manage a sizable infastructure that uses it extensively).  I'm a NC
> living in Arlington, VA.  I was a member of this list for a bit some
> years ago when I was contemplating building some perl apps.

Welcome back.

> Some of you may have heard me moaning in #trilug about a little
> project I've been working on.  I've heard some excellent suggestions,
> however feel that I've been asking the wrong question.
>
> I have a machine whose bundle I'd like to use as the reference for
> other machines.  I would like to use the autobundle from this machine
> to create a cpan repo so that my other machines can install identical
> modules -- however many of these are backdated versions.  I need to
> preserve these versions, however, because it's a very sensitive
> production environment that I must keep homogenous, and I cannot
> update modules without performing regression tests on our application
> first.
>
> That said, is there any way to create a CPAN repository from an
> autobundle, and subsequently use that autobundle on other machines.
> The tough part here is getting the appropriate versions of the modules
> into the repository, many of which will have to come from backpan.
> I've tried creating scripts to parse the autobundle and then find the
> appropriate backpan module.  I've encountered some trouble with this.
> Also, I could rsync the modules dirs but worry about dependency
> problems.
>
> Ideas?!
My first thought is to have a look at the CPAN::Mini::Phalanx100
module.  It includes a subset of CPAN, but I believe is only the
current versions, not specific versions.
http://search.cpan.org/~smpeters/CPAN-Mini-Phalanx100-0.01/
This would get you a repository that you can install from easily once
you get the right (versions of) modules into it.

Let us know how you progress.  I'm interested in the result.
--bradoaks