[Raleigh-talk] Parallel::ForkManager and progress

Brad Oaks bradoaks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 11:40:41 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Michael Peters <mpeters at plusthree.com> wrote:
> Brad Oaks wrote:
>
>> You could update your counter only once every 10_000 records are
>> processed.  I've done that in the past when I didn't want to overrun
>> my screen with status messages.  Same would work for this if you don't
>> mind the total being off by less than a percent (times the number of
>> processes) when you check it.
>
> Yeah, I definitely think I'll be going with a delayed update. So I guess
> that using a file isn't that big of a deal. But I think I'll go the shared
> memory route since it's something new to play with :)

One of my projects at MI was to replace some caching that was using
IPC::ShareLite to use Memcached instead.  The old way was working
fine, we only changed because we had a large number of machines and
needed to make the jump from a cache shared between processes to one
shared across machines too.

I appreciate the something-new-to-play-with aspect.

--bradoaks