[Qatar-pm] [List] Qtel DNS performance

Kosala Atapattu kosala.atapattu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 11:47:27 PDT 2009

BTW, if you run a local bind in the cache mode, and point to the local
DNS server in the /etc/resolve.conf, results will be much faster. I do
that some times, when my router goes crazy....

Kosala

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Nigel Gourlay <ngourlay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i think we can use this as a better alternative 193.0.14.129
>> (k.root-servers.net) , can you check nigel?
>
> Here are the results from a local copy of bind on a West-Coast USA server.
>
> Unregistered
> min/avg/max/stddev = 5.394/25.400/171.496/32.290 ms
> Popular
> min/avg/max/stddev = 1.497/2.213/4.106/0.510 ms
>
> I think a really well run DNS server in Qatar could respond to a
> cached request in less than 5 ms plus network latency, but no end user
> is going to care that the average DNS request is taking 25 ms rather
> than 35 ms, or that 95% of requests are within 30 ms rather than 150
> ms.
>
> The performance of Qtel's DNS isn't bad enough for a replacement to
> make much difference. However, there are certain to be other
> applications, such as NTP, which Qtel aren't providing that could
> usefully be maintained by QGLUG. Andy suggested a local METAR weather
> archive. Any other suggestions???
>
> --nigel

Kosala
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this mail are my personal views and
they would not reflect views of the employer.