[Purdue-pm] Okay, THAT was a wash

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 14 08:19:21 PDT 2017

> I would LIKE to get into using Moose to bring object orientation into Perl
> code, if only as an excuse for me to spend time learning it. As if I didn't
> have a whiteboard full of "give me an excuse" projects. But I don't think
> people who aren't me want to hear it.

Moose is a Perl 5 package that lets you do object-oriented programming.
Perl 6 has object-oriented programming built-in.  Perl 6 has many other
improvements including (from https://perl6.org/):
  o  Object-oriented programming including generics, roles and multiple
     dispatch
  o  Functional programming primitives, lazy and eager list evaluation,
     junctions, autothreading and hyperoperators (vector operators)
  o  Parallelism, concurrency, and asynchrony including multi-core support
  o  Definable grammars for pattern matching and generalized string
     processing
  o  Optional and gradual typing

If you want to do Perl object-oriented programming I suggest using Perl 6.

> I think having someone with better knowledge of R than I do talking
> about REALLY doing analysis with it would be an idea. I mostly use it as
> a plotting library, which really under-utilizes the awesome power of the
> Tidyverse. When I did it, it brought a few new people, which made my
> poor attempt even more shaming and sad. If only I knew someone...

According to
  https://www.class-central.com/mooc/8118/futurelearn-introduction-to-r-for-data-science
Prof. Mark Ward of the Purdue Statistics Department taught a
"Introduction to R for Data Science" course.  Maybe you could sit in on
any R courses he gives at Purdue.

(
  If you do use R I recommend one uses it with a Jupyter Notebook.
  (Derrick Kearney did a Jupyter talk at an earlier Purdue Perl Mongers
  meeting.)

  Even better, use R from Mathematica.  See
    https://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/new-in-9/built-in-integration-with-r/
  for more info.  Mathematica is the best technical computing environment I
  know of and has access to an awesome (I hardly ever use that word) amount
  of data built-in.  See
    http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica
  for more information about Mathematica.  Mathematica can be used with
  Jupyter notebooks (I prefer Jupyter notebooks over Mathematica notebooks
  and have already suggested that Mathematica use a Jupyter-like notebook
  instead of their current style of notebook).  With Jupyter notebooks
  one can type LaTeX input directly, mixing, for example high-level
  science commentary with typeset math equations with Mathematica code all
  in one document.
)

-mark