[Purdue-pm] November and December

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:33:05 PDT 2016

Dave Jacoby wrote on 2016-10-17 at 1259:
|  Thank you, Derrick, for your presentation on Jupyter, and I hope it
|  helped you prepare your presentations in London later this month.
|
|  We discussed topics for November's meeting (Nov 9, frustratingly
|  opposite the TEDxPurdueSalon on "Tomorrow's Technology Today", which
|  sounds great), but we didn't agree on one.
|
|  I have to start changing the website -- someday, it'll pull the
|  calendar straight from Meetup, but not today -- so having SOMETHING
|  but TBD would be good.
|
|  Anybody have ideas? Or should we just force Joe to show off Rakudo.js?

I can give a Jupyter vs. Mathematica talk in December if there is
interest.  Reply to just me, mark at purdue.edu, with a number of 1 through
5 and I'll summarize on October 30.  1 is don't care and won't attend; 5
is very interested and would plan to attend.

I'm on at least the perl6-bugs-followup at perl6.org list and based on
what I read there the Rakudo JavaScript backend may not be stable
enough to advertise in a talk yet.  From
http://blogs.perl.org/users/pawel_murias/2016/10/update-on-rakudojs.html

    Update on rakudo.js
    By Paweł Murias on October 12, 2016 11:50 AM

    Current State

    rakudo.js (Rakudo compiled to JavaScript) compiles 70% of the core
    setting.  I'm working on getting it to compile the whole setting.  The
    setting executes a bunch of code at compile time (it has BEGIN blocks,
    constant declarators etc.) so the code the compiler is generated is
    validated to some degree (the test suit will exercise it much more).
    I'm mostly fixing bugs, and implementing missing features in the backend
    (most are small some required bigger changes to the way we handle
    things, like nqp::attrinited).  While doing that I'm also expanding the
    nqp test suite so that new backend implementers have an easier job.

    What's left?

    Fixing bugs and missing features found while running the test suit.
    Writing a tutorial and making rakudo.js more usable (making sure the
    source maps are correct, it installs easily, the error messages it
    produces are usable etc.).

    When it will be done?

    A large part of the work remaining is bug fixing so I find it hard to
    provide a reliable estimate.  I hope to wrap things up by the end of the
    year.

Mark Senn, Systems Programmer, Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University