[Purdue-pm] _Programming Perl_ fourth edition

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 20 07:02:53 PST 2012

Dear Dave,

All excellent points!  Thank you!

To help in your 4th case (just FYI), I found out that there's a limited
number of books that Purdue is licensed to keep on our Safari bookshelf
for the campus.  Fortunately, the books that Purdue chooses to make
available is completely dynamic.  I.e., you can ask the staff from the
library to update the list, if you want a book added, or if a book you
use is removed.  My understanding is that they try to only remove access
to books that nobody is using often, to make room for new books.  They
have added books very quickly for me, whenever I requested this....
Last time I checked,

Charlotte Erdmann ( erdmann at purdue.edu )

was the person to contact if you want books added to the Safari
bookshelf that aren't there.  I've used access to O'Reilly books through
Safari several times while teaching, to save my students money, and they
had a very positive response to it.

I agree that it can be difficult from off campus.  I encourage you to
ask her about it (if Charlotte still handles such requests).  I got a
very positive and quick response, every time I asked about the Safari
bookshelf.

Best wishes,
Mark

--
8th International Purdue Symposium on Statistics
"Diversity in the Statistical Sciences for the 21st Century"