[Purdue-pm] XML + Perl

Dave Jacoby jacoby at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 2 09:21:23 PST 2012

On 2/2/2012 11:32 AM, Bradley Andersen wrote:
> Here's the background:
>
> Some guy who used to work where I work executed some queries and for
> some reason dumped the results to XML.  Now the DB is not accessible
> and Some guy is not accessible, and the task for me is to try and get
> the data back from this XML.
>
> It's convoluted and should not have occurred in the first place:(

It happens. We had a power outage yesterday. Instrument had a UPS, but
the computer controlling it didn't, so, practically, the instrument did
not have a UPS. And we had one floating around, unused. Should not have
been like that, but I didn't think.

By spec, XML is supposed to be well-formed, so it is brittle by design.
I'd think about writing try and catch into something, but from what
little I've done with XML::Parser, I'd think it was an all-or-nothing thing.

MySQL exports as SQL, so the restore looks like mysql < backup.sql. I
hope you can set the new backup scheme into something equally sane.

And I'm sure this has been nearly useless too you. Sorry, and good luck.

--
Dave Jacoby                         Address: WSLR S049
Code Maker                          Mail:    jacoby at purdue.edu
Purdue University                   Phone:   765.49.67368
    795 days until the end of XP support