[Purdue-pm] improved description of xoker engine

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 11 05:05:03 PDT 2011

(the following obsoletes my previous message, only the last paragraph
was changed, sorry for resend)

  > I was looking through Perl Poker modules and came across a Base 64
  > representation of the cards.
  >
  > http://search.cpan.org/~pip/Games-Cards-Poker-1.2.565CHh5/Poker.pm#NOTES

Thanks.  I'll change my stuff to take advantage of 4 * 13 = 2 * 26 (4
suits, 13 ranks, 2 cases (upper and lower), 26 letters):
    LETTER    DESCRIPTION
    A--M      2--A clubs
    N--Z      2--A diamonds
    a--m      2--A hearts
    n--z      2--A spades

(Digits could be used for jokers but we don't need to worry about
those.)

(I plan to do my compare two hands solution without using any modules to
compare the hands.  Will be writing a simple engine so I can specify,
for example,
    A? A? A? B? B?
to specify a full house.  (The A's all match the same rank which can be
any rank, the B's all match the same (but different from A) rank, and
the ?'s mean match any suit...they'll be error checking code before this
to make sure the only legal hands were "dealt".)

-mark