[Purdue-pm] more about "xoker" hands challenge

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 11 04:43:42 PDT 2011

  > I was looking through Perl Poker modules and came across a Base 64
  > representation of the cards.
  >
  > http://search.cpan.org/~pip/Games-Cards-Poker-1.2.565CHh5/Poker.pm#NOTES

Thanks.  I'll change my stuff to take advantage of 4 * 13 = 2 * 26 (4
suits, 13 ranks, 2 cases (upper and lower), 26 letters):
    LETTER    DESCRIPTION
    A--M      2--A clubs
    N--Z      2--A diamonds
    a--m      2--A hearts
    n--z      2--A spades

(Digits could be used for jokers but we don't need to worry about
those.)

(I plan to do my compare two hands solution without using any
modules to compare the hands.  Will be writing a simple engine
so I can specify, for example,
    A? A? A? B? B?
to specify a full house.  (The ?'s mean match any suit...they'll
be error checking code before this to make sure the only legal
hands were "dealt".)

-mark