[Purdue-pm] Perl 6, Padre, etc.

Dave jacoby jacoby at purdue.edu
Mon Jul 26 07:46:55 PDT 2010

I have installed Padre, but that was several time-units ago and I wasn't
impressed. Under Linux, I use Komodo-Edit a lot and vi a lot more*.
Under Windows, the best I've used is UltraEdit but I don't code on
Windows enough to justify buying a license. The one I use most these
days is Notepad++.

My experience with the Visual Studio 6.0 IDE has generally put me off
IDEs, but I last dealt with that environment a little over five years
ago. (I've touched the .NET IDE but not since then and not for real work.)

My understanding that the call for a Perl IDE is largely an "Eat Your
Dogfood" issue, meaning that, if we support Perl, we should use tools
written in Perl in every practical purpose. I'm not overly compelled by
that argument, and I'm unwilling to dive whole-heartedly into an
untested editor when some clearly powerful and high-quality editors (vi,
emacs) and acceptable in terms of power and quality editors (GEdit,
Komodo Edit) are already available.

But I could be wrong.

Has anyone used Padre? Has anyone moved to it as their primary editor?
Any good reports? Anyone want to talk about it at a meeting?

* Not intending to rekindle any vi/emacs fight here.