[Purdue-pm] Rakudo Perl 6 #31 released

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 23 07:48:47 PDT 2010

Perl 6 is a specification.  Perl 6 is a complete redesign of Perl 5
language but still "feels like" Perl.  Regular expressions (now called
rules), object-oriented programming, parsing grammars, and many other
things have been improved.  I've been trying to use Perl 6 at home for
years but the implementations or documentation have been lacking.
Rakudo Perl 6 is an in-progress Perl 6 implementation that's improving
_rapidly_.

Rakudo Star will be (from http://use.perl.org/~pmichaud/journal/39411):
an "official", intermediate, useful and usable release of Perl 6 (an
appropriate subset).  According to Rakudo's home page at
http://www.rakudo.org Rakudo Star will be released by July 29.

>From http://www.parrot.org/:
    Parrot is a virtual machine designed to efficiently compile and
    execute bytecode for dynamic languages. Parrot currently hosts a
    variety of language implementations in various stages of completion,
    including Tcl, Javascript, Ruby, Lua, Scheme, PHP, Python, Perl 6,
    APL, and a .NET bytecode translator. Parrot is not about parrots,
    though we are rather fond of them for obvious reasons.

From
http://docs.parrot.org    (cont. on next line)
/parrot/latest/html/docs/book/pct/ch03_compiler_tools.pod.html:
    Parrot has a robust system for interfacing with external native code
    libraries, such as those commonly written in C, C++, Fortran and
    other compiled languages. Where previously every interpreter would
    need to maintain its own bindings and interfaces to libraries,
    Parrot enables developers to write library bindings once and use
    them seamlessly from any language executing on Parrot. Want to use
    Tcl's Tk libraries, along with Python's image manipulation libraries
    in a program you are writing in Perl?  Parrot supports that.

-mark