[Purdue-pm] CSociety Upgrade: Good and Bad

Dave jacoby jacoby at purdue.edu
Mon Aug 16 05:39:07 PDT 2010

Our wiki is hosted by CSociety. CSociety recently did an upgrade on
their server. The GOOD thing is, when you type perl -v into a prompt, it
says 5.10.1 instead of 5.8.8.

The BAD thing is that, as is fairly common when they upgrade, they lose
crucial configuration elements. Among those are the fact that PM (and
Mark, PMUG) are not static pages, but rather dynamic CGI programs. So
our wiki(s) are down.

The GOOD thing is that I have some pages on CSociety, based around the
practical use of LWP, that I check every weekday, and I noticed the
problems first thing today. I have sent off an email to the CSociety
admins, so this outage should not be a long-lasting.

The BAD thing, again, is that it's starting to be the time of the next
Perl Mongers meeting, and the meeting date and agenda items were stored
there.

The GOOD thing is that I have access to the directory and with strings
and grep, I can read "The next meeting is August 17,2010", tomorrow. I
expect that Rick will send a reminder with more specific agenda items.

One of the agenda items I can recall is discussing renaming ourselves
lafayette.pm or westlafayette.pm or
greaterlafayettemetropolitanareaincludingshadelandandbattleground.pm,
which I decline to categorize as GOOD or BAD.

--
Dave Jacoby                         Address: WSLR S049
Genomics Core Programmer            Mail:    jacoby at purdue.edu
Purdue University                   Phone:   765.49.67368