[Purdue-pm] Follow up on Per 6 objects

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Wed Feb 13 07:59:18 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Rick Westerman wrote:

>    Another IMHO, after Mark's talk last night I am beginning to doubt
> if we will ever see Perl 6 in production.  Since Perl 5 is getting a
> beating from the other modern languages, e.g., PHP, Python, Java, Ruby
> and even JavaScript, it seems like the way that Perl will survive is
> bolt on the good ideas into Perl 5 ... even at the risk of making the
> language yet more cumbersome and not clean.

The bolting-on is already happening.  See the features that are in
Perl 5.10 that came from Perl 6.

However, it seems clear to me that Perl 6 is moving forward, and
Rakudo Perl (the implementation of Perl 6 on Parrot) is getting closer
to reality.  Keep an eye on Perlbuzz.com and Rakudo.org for notes
about what's happening in Perl 6 land.

xoa

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance