[Princeton-pm] Princeton Perl Mongers

uber spaced uber.spaced at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 17:10:10 PDT 2010

Krista,

There are many facets to programming languages.  If I were to bluntly and
directly answer your question about learning the Perl programming language,
I'd recommend books like "Learning Perl".  I would also recommend you get a
Linux box, run "perldoc perldoc", and "perldoc perl" and read.

If you are talking about learning the "culture", there are some things you
must learn, and some you must unlearn.  Some people are nit-picky.  For
instance, from your email: "I am currently working on<space><space>Perl
requirement", that's missing an 'a' or an 's' somewhere.  Probably an 'a'.
 When people who deal with this stuff all the time, like me for instance,
they think "that was blindly copied and pasted into a hastily written
template email".  That puts us off a bit.  The next sentence is missing a
question mark.

I shall quote the all truthful wikipedia for an article on culture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(programmer_subculture)

You should also verse yourself in the Jargon file, which is referenced in
there.

Now, to speak more seriously: Your company's skill assessment tests were
severely out dated and irrelevant, especially with regard to Perl.  They
were just terrible.

On a lighter note, yes, learn Perl.  Perl is good.

uberspaced