APM: Issues with Perl and Win32

Richard Jelinek rj at petamem.com
Tue Mar 30 04:18:58 CST 2004

*cough* *cough* (waiting until the dust from this ML has laid down).

Hi!

Developing perl applications mostly under and for UNIX OSes, we now
face the problem of users requiring a version for the evil Win32 OS.

We sent an user a very simple perlapp of ours: A command line client
for accessing a NLP/NLU server. The user has installed perl from
activestate plus several required modules. However:

The user is not able to even find two required modules:
Term::ReadPassword  and Term::Readline::Gnu (it seems for Win, modules
are distributed as some ppm packages?).

I have read perldoc perlport but this covers the modules issue only
marginally.

So we can detect the ability of Readline and scrap the history feature
for Win32, so he could use the basic Term::Readline, but to solve this
issue more generally, we'd need to know:

    * whether there is somewhere a list of what modules are available
      under Win32.
    * alternatively how do I provide a ppm-version of a module if I
      have it from CPAN (tar.gz)
    * does/would cygwin help?

Please help a win32 analphabet.

--