APM: (Fwd) [pm_groups] Very much alive in Ottawa, Canada

Jenda Krynicky Jenda at Krynicky.cz
Thu Sep 26 09:51:46 CDT 2002

Tohle mi prislo z pm_groups at pm.org.
Nemeli bysme taky zacit neco delat? :-|
Pokud nekoho napada nejaky tema ktery by(ch) mohl odprednaset, ozvete
se.

Jenda

From:           	Jay Lawrence <jlawrenc at infonium.com>
Subject:        	[pm_groups] Very much alive in Ottawa, Canada
Send reply to:  	pm_groups at pm.org
Date sent:      	Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:24:06 -0400

Hi All,

I wanted to post a "ping" from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Over the past
few years the Ottawa PM group has struggled with its reason to exist.
I'm very happy to report that a few decisions that I took this last
winter have been paying off big time!

Here's what I decided to to:

 a - survey the members on the list
    - big questions were about time and perceptions of the group
 b - secured a meeting space at a central library for our monthly
 meetings
 c - delivered 3 or 4 presentations about things I know a bit about
 kickstarting the presentation process
 d - now I have 2 presentations in the queue and more in people's
 minds
 e - befriended our local Linux group
    - presented at linux meeting
    - giving Perl tutorial tonight - waiting list of 11 even!
 f - overhauled our website to make it easy to maintain and improve

The result is that we have retained most of our core members, sparked
the desire for people to present, and even at our last meeting had 5
new faces.

For us the mix of 50/50 for presentations and pub time has really
paid
off and I expect we'll see the group continues to do well. :)

Jay

ps - I am going to start using PerlPoint for my presentation work
shortly. I will be posting that on our site. As well - you will be
able to download and use any of those presentations at your own PM
group.

 http://ottawa.pm.org/

That includes my upcoming "Survival Perl" talk from tonight.

It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain
I can't find it.
					--- me