[Pikes-peak-pm] Rejuvenating the Pikes Peak Perl Mongers

Cindy Teel & Doug Baker cfdbaker at qwest.net
Mon Sep 28 08:38:29 PDT 2009

Greetings.

First I'll apologize for my 'quiet', i.e. delay. A death in the family has
had me on my knees for the last week+. Yes, my faithful 10yr old home
pedestal 2Ghz PentiumIV Windows/XP-SP2 120Gb Maxtor died.

Dusty really - no windows of any kind? - that sounds like 'prison' - are you
really sure that you can get out such that the rest of us won't become
implicated as accomplices in your escape - I am willing to talk Perl but I'm
going to have to stop short of breaking you out of 'jail' (Even if it is
Kansas and an inherently worthy cause!!! - Grins)

I had backups, but Windows ntbackup was very finicky and would not even run
most of the time... And I had Folder copies. All to a USB WD Passport. I
love those USB power drives!!!

In any event this weekend I pretty much got the new WinTel Q9550/8Gb 64-bit
WXP/SP2 up, things restored, and 'back on line'.

Not that I am a WXP-SP2 fanboy or bashboy either way! Er, some to think of
it I do like bash so maybe I am a bashboy, if just a bit.

But then what a good boy that Maxtor is, even as it died it let me jumper it
onto another motherboard and read things off as I scrambled to recover, all
the while dodging the slings and arrows of my wife for letting such a thing
happen. Er, 10 years of spinning in the dust hell hole below our computer
desk. I'm thinking sainthood for that little drive, a nice little
commemorative yellow post-it note and a static bag taped tight is in its
future. I've loved but one HDD manufacturer in my life,.... Is that a bad
thing?

Ah, but enough about me!

Sorry, what as the question?

Wednesday, Oct 7th @ 11:30 AM sounds good to me! I'll be the one wearing
(seeking) Perl's (of Wisdom?)!

And we should probably clarify the location? I believe that Ed has indicated
location 'B', see following map.

I'm for an informal meeting, just some chat, background (checks), etc. to
get things started.

Thank you,

Doug