[Pikes-peak-pm] Firing Off Child Processes

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Oct 8 09:35:54 CDT 2004

Tim Chambers writes:
> Yes, that's the only option for creating child processes.

You can also open(PROC, 'prog1 |');  which is an asynchronous, and you
can use select to reap them.  The value returned from open is the
pid, btw.

If you are doing a lot of process management (not something I
recommend :-), you may want to check out POE.  There are other
packages for managing processes Perl, but this is the most complete, I
think.

I think "make" is a pretty good tool for batch-oriented process
management, however.  We've rolled our own, because we need to do
things like manage load and monitor long running jobs.

> Right. TMTOWTDI.

Indeed.

> Even if you don't have to use Perl to do it. :)

Heresy!

:)

Rob