let's get together on IRC

Tim Chambers timc+perl at divide.net
Thu Sep 25 18:23:08 CDT 2003

Steve wrote:

> I finally got all this set up.  xchat works great!  Nice job.

Yeah, I did your messages when I got back to my desk.

> So what times are good for gathering?

Well, I'm connected during work hours anyway -- sometimes even during
off-hours. I chatted with jopa a little bit this afternoon. I got e-mail
from one list member who said work hours are bad, though. My experience with
#hackingsociety on that same server is that it's open 24x7. But you never
know when someone's going to pop in.

Having said all that, I would expect the channel to get busy the week the
group meets for lunch. IRC would be a good way to discuss where to have
lunch. Of course, that method discriminates against those who aren't online.
But seeing as how there's hardly ever much discussion on the *list* about
lunch, I don't think it loses much to discuss it on IRC. And it would give
all of us who aren't in town an excuse to chat monthly with those who *are*
planning lunch.

Let's just see how it goes.

One other thing. Here's another handy tool.

http://www.dircproxy.net/

It's a proxy that stays connected for you. (You need a machine to use as a
server, though.) That way you never miss anything. It can be overwhelming if
the channel has a lot of traffic. I don't expect that to be the case with
irc.community.tummy.com#perl though.

<>< Tim