Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, January 31

Tim Chambers timc+perl at divide.net
Sat Feb 1 14:31:12 CST 2003

O'Reilly User Group Program
Newsletter
January 31, 2003

Please share this information with your members...

Highlights This Week:
Book News
-Sequence Analysis in a Nutshell
-Mac OS X in a Nutshell
-Unix CD Bookshelf, Version 3.0
-JDBC Pocket Reference
Upcoming Events
-Matt Welsh (Running Linux, 4th Ed.) at SDForum's Emerging Technology
SIG, Palo Alto, CA--February 11
-chromatic (Running Weblogs with Slash) The Linux in Boise Club,
Boise, ID--February 18
Conference News
-Last chance to Register for the O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology
Conference
-Registration is open for the 2003 O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference
-Put Up A Conference Banner, Get A Free Book-O'Reilly Emerging
Technology Conference
News
-Looking for User Group Members to submit book reviews to Slashdot
-Want to know what the top 25 best-selling books on our site are?
-Stein on Bioinformatics
-Network Impact of the MS SQL Worm
-Building Dependency Webs in J2EE
-Using NAnt to Build .NET Projects
-Distributed .config Files with Smart Clients
-What Is a Flash MX Component?
-Learning the Terminal in Jaguar, Part 2
-The DigiCam Chronicles: Sound Is Half the Picture
-Sundance Gets in the Digital Groove
Announcements From Your Peers
-From LinuxChix--What are good books for Linux beginners?

Book News
Review books are available--email me for a copy.

***Please include the book order number on your requests.

Let me know if you need your books by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.
Send or email me copies of your newsletters and book reviews.

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Group purchases with better discounts are available***
Please let me know if you are interested.

Press releases are available on our press page:
http://press.oreilly.com/

***Sequence Analysis in a Nutshell
Order Number: 494X
"Sequence Analysis in a Nutshell" pulls together all of the vital
information about the most commonly used databases, analytical tools,
and tables used in sequence analysis. The book contains details and
examples on using GenBank, EMBL, and SWISS-PROT, as well as the
GenBank/EMBL/DDBJ Feature Table Definitions. This book draws together
essential information for bioinformaticians in industry, academia, and
undergraduate programs.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/seqanalyian/

Chapter 7, "BLAST," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/seqanalyian/chapter/index.html

***Mac OS X in a Nutshell
Order Number: 3706
"Mac OS X in a Nutshell" offers a thorough treatment of Mac OS X
version 10.2, from its BSD Unix foundation to new Aqua interface. The
book's "Unix Command Reference" is the most complete coverage of Mac OS
X Unix commands you can find anywhere. Serious users who want more from
their system will find everything they need to know systematically
documented in this book.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxian/

Chapter 14, "Web Publishing with a DAMP System," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxian/chapter/index.html

***Unix CD Bookshelf, Version 3.0
Order Number: 3927
"Unix CD Bookshelf, Version 3.0" packs a stack of essential Unix books
into one comprehensive, immensely convenient, and portable package:
"Unix Power Tools, 3rd Edition;" "Learning the Unix Operating System,
5th Edition;" "Learning the vi Editor, 6th Edition;" "Mac OS X for Unix
Geeks;" "Learning the Korn Shell, 2nd Edition;" "sed & awk, 2nd
Edition;" and "Unix in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition." The CD has a master
index, a powerful search engine, and all the text is extensively
hyperlinked, so you'll find what you're looking for quickly.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixcdbs3/

***JDBC Pocket Reference
Order Number: 4575
This pocket reference offers quick look-ups for all methods of the
standard JDBC classes. These include concise reviews of the procedures
for common JDBC tasks such as connecting to a database, executing
stored procedures, and executing DDL.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jdbcpr/

An excerpt, "User-Defined Data Types," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jdbcpr/chapter/index.html

Upcoming Events
***Matt Welsh (Running Linux, 4th Edition) at SDForum's Emerging
Technology SIG, Palo Alto, CA--February 11
Matt will be presenting "Extreme Overload and Concurrency in Internet
Services."
For event information:
http://www.sdforum.org/p/calEvent.asp?CID=1003&mo=2&yr=2003

Emerging Technology SIG, SDForum
6:30pm, February 11, 2003
Cubberley Community Center
4000 Middlefield Road, Room H-1
Palo Alto, CA
For directions, go to:
http://www.sdforum.org/p/l1.asp?SID=1&PID=324

***chromatic (Running Weblogs with Slash) at the Linux in Boise Club,
Boise, ID--February 18
chromatic's topic will be "Perl and the Pyramids of Giza." chromatic is
also the technical editor for the O'Reilly Network
(http://www.oreillynet.com/).

The Linux in Boise Club
7PM, February 18, 2003
ExecuTrain Of Boise
8950 W. Emerald Street
Suite 178
Boise, ID 83704
http://www.libc.org/

For more events, pleas see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

Conference News
***Last chance to Register for the O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology
Conference Can't make the whole conference? Consider a day pass for
February 4, 5, or 6. This event takes place at the Westin Horton Plaza
in San Diego.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/bio2003/create/ord_bio03

***Registration is open for the 2003 O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference
Join the leaders from the many worlds of pervasive computing to explore
and invent the new internet infrastructure and culture.  Speakers
include: Howard Rheingold, Alan Kay, Clay Shirky, Eric Bonabeau, Tim
O'Reilly, David S. Isenberg, and many others.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

Early Bird Discount--
User Group members who register before March 14th, 2003, get a double
discount. Use code DSUG when you register, and you'll get 20% off the
"Early Bird" price.

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/22/register.html

***Put Up A Conference Banner, Get A Free Book***
Ready for the next conference banner promotion? Here it is:
We are looking for user groups to display our conference banners on
their web sites. If you send me the link to your user group site with
our O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference banner, I will send
you the O'Reilly book of your choice.

Conference Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/etech2003/

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***O'Reilly is looking for User Group Members to submit book reviews to
Slashdot.org Here is what they are looking for:

"Choose a book that you enjoyed, hated, thought was worth the money, or
definitely wasn't. Slashdot reviews cover a wide range of topics and
styles, but this is "News for Nerds," so books by Danielle Steele or
Oprah are unlikely to appear on the Slashdot home page. Also, use the
Slashdot search engine to see whether the book has already been
reviewed. Depending on circumstances, we may run more than one review
of a single book. If more than one reviewer submits a review, we may
only run the one we think is better, run both in full, or excerpt to
present elements of both."

For more information on their book review guidelines, go to:
http://slashdot.org/book.review.guidelines.shtml

***Want to know what the top 25 best-selling books on our site are?
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/top25.html

---------------------
Bioinformatics
---------------------
***Stein on Bioinformatics
Lincoln Stein is an associate professor at Cold Spring Harbor
Laboratory and a keynote speaker at O'Reilly's upcoming Bioinformatics
Technology Conference. We talk with Lincoln about the bioinformatics
technologies and tools he's most excited about.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/bio/news/lincolnstein.html

The O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference  takes place at the
Westin Horton Plaza in San Diego on February 3-6, 2003.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Network Impact of the MS SQL Worm
Iljitsch van Beijnum, the author of "BGP" and a network manager,
describes how he dealt with the MS SQL worm attack.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/01/28/msworm.html

BGP
Order Number: 2548
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bgp/

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Building Dependency Webs in J2EE
J2EE applications are complex. Good programming means managing
complexity, especially if you're making changes to a stable system. In
this article, Alex Iskold and Daniel Kogan introduce Dependency Webs, a
technique for visualizing and analyzing source code dependencies.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/01/29/depweb.html

---------------------
.NET
---------------------
***Using NAnt to Build .NET Projects
With Visual Studio .NET, you can easily build and compile .NET projects
that contain any number of sub-projects--collections of interdependent
web pages, executables, DLL assemblies, and so forth--with a single
menu command. This article by Jeffrey P. McManus shows you how to use
NAnt to build complicated projects.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/01/27/nant.html

***Distributed .config Files with Smart Clients
The new model provided by .NET smart clients has really taken hold in
the imaginations and the business plans of .NET developers. The idea of
getting the best of both the richness of real Windows applications and
the zero-touch installation of web-based applications is turning the
heads of many an IT professional. Of course, as soon as a brand new
model starts being put to real use, problems show themselves. In this
article, Chris Sells shows you how to solve these problems.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/01/27/ztd.html

---------------------
Web Development
---------------------
***What Is a Flash MX Component?
With the release of Flash MX, Macromedia added an extensible library of
user interface widgets called Flash UI Components. Colin Moock explains
what they are, and he includes several resources for creating and using
them.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2003/01/28/actionscript.html

Colin is the author of "ActionScript for Flash MX: The Definitive
Guide, 2nd Edition." Order Number: 396X
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/actscript2/

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Learning the Terminal in Jaguar, Part 2
In part 2 in his series on using Jaguar's Terminal application, Chris
Stone shows you how to configure cron to email a report to you each
time it runs a job. Chris is a coauthor of the recently released "Mac
OS X in a Nutshell."
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/24/terminal_osx.html

***The DigiCam Chronicles: Sound Is Half the Picture
You can add pro-quality voiceovers to your digital imagery with just a
few simple tools and Mac OS X. Derrick Story shows you how to easily
record and edit QuickTime audio.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/28/digicam_chronicles.html

***Sundance Gets in the Digital Groove
Digital Video is becoming more accepted among serious filmmakers, as
witnessed at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. Susan Boyer reports on
new DV tools and discusses some of the more popular digital video
entries at the festival.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/28/dv_video.html

Announcements From Your Peers

***From LinuxChix--What are good books for Linux beginners?
http://www.linuxchix.org/content/recommends/books/beginner_list

Until next time--

Marsee