summary of lunch today

Tim Chambers japh at cos.agilent.com
Tue Jul 9 15:10:43 CDT 2002

> Subject: REMINDER: Perl lunch TODAY (FREE to one lurker!)
> To encourage new members to come out for the event, I'm running an
impromptu
> contest.

Thanks for playing. No winner today. Maybe I'll offer this again next month.
(No jumping the gun. :-)

Today we had outstanding geekly conversation. Hardly any of it had to do
with Perl. :-)

DaveW, BobG, and GregW were there. We talked some about the rising
discontent among musicians regarding their treatment by the recording
companies. Kuro5hin had a couple stories recently:

Music as Art, Not a Commodity: Three Models (4 July)
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/7/3/23110/86649

How to Take Down the Music Industry
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/29/154446/646

You heard it here first: in our lifetime, an artist will come along and
garner a gold record-level audience without having ever signed a contract.
That will be the end of the beginning of the decline of the media industry's
stranglehold on content.

Until next month,

Tim ><>