Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program February 15

Tim Chambers tbcatwork at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 22:21:27 CST 2002

From:"Marsee Henon" <marsee at oreilly.com>
Subject:Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program February 15

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
February 15, 2002

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK:

NEWS:
-Safari Makes the Top 100 [undiscovered] Web Sites by PC Magazine
-Geek Cruises
-You Can Hack .NET Without Buying Visual Studio
-Top Ten Traps in C# for C++ Programmers
-Java Developers Journal Readers Choice Award Voting Open
-Windows XP from a Mac Perspective
-Top Ten FAQs for Web Services

BOOK NEWS:
-Using SANs and NAS
-SVG Essentials
-System Performance Tuning, 2nd Edition

CONFERENCES:
-Registration is now open for The O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference May 13-16, 2002, in Santa Clara, CA

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

-------------------------------
GENERAL NEWS
-------------------------------

O'REILLY's SAFARI MAKES THE TOP 100
[UNDISCOVERED] WEB SITES BY PC MAGAZINE

Top 100 [Undiscovered] Web Sites
PC magazine announces 100 terrific, underappreciated sites
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=25087&a=22115,00.asp

About Safari:
"Among the world's great mysteries--ranking with "Why is James Coburn
on the cover of Band on the Run?"--is "Why are there animals on the
covers of O'Reilly Technology guides?" We have no idea. But we do know
that these are the best computer manuals around, and that now, for a
small fee, you can access them online."
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=25087&a=22096,00.asp

Check out Safari for yourself:
http://safari.oreilly.com/mainhom.asp?home

PLANNING TO TAKE A CRUISE THIS SUMMER?
Check out Geek Cruises
http://www.geekcruises.com/

Cruises include:
MAC MANIA, Alaska, May, 27-June 3
Featuring O'Reilly authors David Pogue, Randal L. Schwartz,
and Adam Engst

JAVA JAMM III, Alaska, September 7-14, 2002
Featuring O'Reilly author Jason Hunter

---------------------
.NET
---------------------

YOU CAN HACK .NET WITHOUT BUYING VISUAL STUDIO .NET
Brian Jepson explains how programmers can get started working with C#,
including how to use the C# compiler and the cordbg.exe debugger, all
without purchasing Visual Studio .NET
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/02/11/hackdotnet.html

TOP TEN TRAPS IN C# FOR C++ PROGRAMMERS
What features in  C# are potential traps for the unwary C++
programmer?  Learn about the ten most dangerous ones in this article by
Jesse Liberty, author of O'Reilly's "Programming C#, 2nd Edition."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/02/11/csharp_traps.html

---------------------
Java
---------------------

JAVA DEVELOPERS JOURNAL READERS CHOICE AWARD
Voting has now begun for the 2002 annual Java Developer's Journal (JDJ)
Readers' Choice Awards. Lots of O'Reilly Books have been nominated for
Best Book, other categories include: Best Java App, Component,
Enterprise Database, IDE Environment, etc.
http://www.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2002/

---------------------
MAC
---------------------

WINDOWS XP FROM A MAC PERSPECTIVE
"Mac OS X has created many side effects in my computing life. One of
them was that I could no longer tolerate Windows 98 on my companion
Windows computer. Would XP relieve my pain?"
See what else Derrick Story has to say:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/02/12/xp_review.html

--------------------
WEB SERVICES
--------------------

TOP TEN FAQS FOR WEB SERVICES
Web services represent an important evolutionary step in building
distributed applications. But, what exactly is a Web service? What is
the Web service protocol stack? And, does the World Wide Web Consortium
support any Web service standards?  Ethan Cerami, author of
"Web Services Essentials" explains:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/02/12/webservicefaqs.html

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES ARE AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
Press Releases available at: http://press.oreilly.com/

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
direct from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.

SVG ESSENTIALS
Order Number: 2238

Scalable Vector Graphics--or SVG--is the new XML-based graphics
standard from the W3C that will enable Web documents to be smaller,
faster and more interactive. This insightful book takes you through the
ins and outs of SVG, from the basics to more complicated features
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/svgess/

Chapter 3 "Basic Shapes"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/svgess/chapter/ch03.html

SYSTEM PERFORMANCE TUNING, 2ND EDITION
Order Number: 284X

System Performance Tuning covers two distinct areas: performance
tuning, or the art of increasing performance for a specific
application, and capacity planning, or deciding what hardware best
fulfills a given role.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/spt2/

Chapter4 "Memory"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/spt2/chapter/ch04.html

USING SANS AND NAS
Order Number: 1533

Storage Area Networks (SANs) and Network Attached Storage (NAS) allow
organizations to manage and back up huge file systems quickly.
W. Curtis Preston's book takes you through the ins and outs
of building and managing large data centers using SANs and NAS.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sansnas/

Chapter 4 "SAN Backup and Recovery"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sansnas/chapter/ch04.html

CONFERENCES

THE O'REILLY EMERGING TECHNOLOGY
Conference, May 13-16, 2002
Santa Clara, CA,
This conference expands upon the themes of the enormously successful
P2P and Web Services Conferences and encourages the attendees to
participate in building the Internet Operating System--distributed,
unteathered, adaptive.  For more about the conference, see:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

An Invitation From Tim O'Reilly and Rael Dornfest:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/18/invite.html

User group discount is 20% for conferences. Use the discount code:
DSUG.  Register before March 22nd, and receive a double discount! Your
20% will apply towards already reduced "Early Bird" pricing if you
register early.

Conference Registration:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2002/create/ord_et02

ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM YOUR PEERS

Virginia-

The Hampton Roads Oracle Users Group is having their monthly meeting
March 6th at the Chesapeake Main Library off Cedar Road at
8:30AM -10:30AM.

Hazel Zamperini, HROUG President, hzamperini at cox.net

If your group has an event you'd like me to post, let me know.

Until next week,

Marsee