Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, February 8

Tim Chambers tbcatwork at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 13:59:32 CST 2002

Date:Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:56:12 -0800 (PST)
From:"Marsee Henon" <marsee at oreilly.com>

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
February 8, 2002

We've got lots of new books coming in! This week's issue is a long one;
we're catching up in Denise's absence. Next week we should go back to
our usual length.

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK:

NEWS:
-First Annual Google Programming Contest (with a grand prize of $10,000)
-AppleScript Primer for Mac OS X
-Frank Willison Award
-Miguel on Mono; an interview with Miguel de Icaza
-Web Services Journal Readers Choice Awards

BOOK NEWS:
-Sax2
-Practical PostgreSQL
-Access Database Design & Programming, 3rd Edition
-HTML Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
-C# Essentials, 2nd Edition
-IP Routing offers
-Learning Red Hat Linux, 2nd Edition
-Solaris 8 Administrator's Guide
-Programming with Qt, 2nd Edition
-Running Weblogs with Slash

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

-------------------------------
GENERAL INTEREST
-------------------------------
GOOGLE PROGRAMMING CONTEST
Google announces their first annual Google programming
contest (with a grand prize of $10,000).
Check it out at:  http://www.google.com/programming-contest/

---------------
MAC
---------------
APPLESCRIPT PRIMER FOR MAC OS X
Curious about AppleScript for Mac OS X but don't know where to start?
Here's an Online introduction to how AppleScript works with AppleScript
Studio, Unix Shell, Terminal App, and Web services, by Bruce Perry,
author of O'Reilly's AppleScript in a Nutshell:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/02/01/applescript_macosx.html

---------------------
OPEN SOURCE
---------------------
MIGUEL ON MONO; an interview with Miguel de Icaza on the .NET
DevCenter:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/02/04/mono.html

FRANK WILLISON AWARD
This year's Frank Willison Award for Contributions to the Python
Community was presented to Andrew Kuchling at the Tenth International
Python Conference. Guido van Rossum, one of the award's judges, said
that "besides being a prolific programmer who has contributed to many
corners of the Python implementation, Andrew has done numerous writing
projects related to Python." For more details about this award see the
Press Release: http://press.oreilly.com/willison_award.html

Tenth International Python Conference
http://www.python10.org/

--------------------
WEB SERVICES
--------------------
Web Services Journal is accepting votes for their Readers Choice
Awards. Categories include best app, best framework, best middleware,
and yes, best book (a few ORA books have been nominated, including
Programming.Web Services with Soap, Programming. Web Services with
XML-RPC, and Peer-to-Peer).
http://www.sys-con.com/webservices/readerschoice/index.cfm

(These are still available for review, let me know if you want to check
them out.)

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES ARE AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.

If you have a deadline please let me know in your subject line.

Feel free to re-use or forward the press release, in any way you see
fit. Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they
purchase direct from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.

SAX2
All the information you need to use SAX2 (Simple API for XML), the
dominant API for efficient XML processing with Java.  Order Number 2378
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sax2/ The authors Top Ten SAX2 Tips:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/05/sax2.html Chapter 3 Producing SAX2
Events:  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sax2/chapter/ch03.html Press
Release:  http://press.oreilly.com/sax2.html

PRACTICAL POSTGRESQL
Order Number: 8466
Arguably the most capable of all the open source databases, PostgreSQL
is an object-relational database management system that--until
now-lacked comprehensive, easy-to-use documentation. Practical
PostgreSQL is a fast-paced guide that shows you how to get PostgreSQL
installed, configured, and running.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ppostgresql/
Chapter 2, Installing PostgresSQL is available at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ppostgresql/chapter/ch02.pdf Press
release:  http://press.oreilly.com/ppostgresql.html

ACCESS DATABASE DESIGN & PROGRAMMING, 3RD EDITION
Order Number: 2734
The book one critic called "A must-have for the serious Access
developer." http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/accessdata3/ Chapter 4
Database Design Principles is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/accessdata3/chapter/ch04.html
Press Release:  http://press.oreilly.com/accessdata3.html

HTML POCKET REFERENCE, 2ND EDITION
Order Number: 2963
The second edition of this handy pocket reference to every HTML tag in
the current HTML specification (4.01).
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/htmlpr2/

C# ESSENTIALS, 2ND EDITION
Order Number: 3153
Concise but thorough, this second edition of C# Essentials introduces
the Microsoft C# programming language.
http://oreilly.com/catalog/csharpess2/
Chapter 1, Introduction, is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csharpess2/chapter/ch01.html Press
release:  http://press.oreilly.com/csharpess2.html

IP ROUTING
Order Number: 2750
This concise guide offers the basic concepts of IP routing, helping you
master not only the fundamentals of all the major routing protocols,
but also the underlying principles on which they are based.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/iprouting/
Chapter 4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), is
available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/iprouting/chapter/ch04.html
Press Release:  http://press.oreilly.com/iprouting.html

LEARNING RED HAT LINUX, 2ND EDITION
Order Number: 0715
An excellent introduction to one of the most popular distributions of
Linux in the U.S. Because the book is written specifically for the
enclosed CDs, the reader needs nothing else to get started with his or
her new Linux system.  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/redhat2/ Chapter
13, Advanced Shell Usage and Shell Scripts is  available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/redhat2/chapter/ch13.html
Press Release:  http://press.oreilly.com/redhat2.html

SOLARIS 8 ADMINISTRATOR'S GUIDE
Order Number: 0731
Written for experienced network administrators who want an objective
guide to networking with Solaris, the book covers installation on the
Intel and Sparc platforms, and instructs you how to setup Solaris as a
file server,  application server, and database server.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/solaris8/

Programming with Qt, 2nd Edition
Order Number: 0642
Completely updated for Qt Version 3.0, Programming Qt guides you
through the steps of writing your first Qt application.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/prowqt2/
An article by the author, Design Patterns in Qt, is available online:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/01/10/designqt.html

RUNNING WEBLOGS WITH SLASH
Order Number: 1002
Slash is the open-source software system that drives the hugely popular
Slashdot web site and many others. Slash implements the kind of web
site that has come to be called a "weblog": a moderated list, in
reverse-chronological order, of timely items, with links to further
discussion on-site, or to further information off-site. Anyone who
wants to get a weblog site up and running will want to read Running
Weblogs with Slash.  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runblogslash/
Chapter 4, Editing and Updating Stories, is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runblogslash/chapter/ch04.html

ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM YOUR PEERS

ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION:

RMOUG Training Days 2002 Denver, Colorado February 20-21, 2002
This year's conference will continue the tradition of training
excellence. Join us for two days of expanded training session,
networking with Oracle professionals, and viewing the largest Oracle
exhibit in the Rocky Mountain region.  For more information go to our
web site at www.rmoug.org

If your group has an event you'd like me to post, let me know.

--Marsee