Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 17:18:44 CDT 2001

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:01:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Denise Olliffe" <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK...
Books:
 - Python books coming
News:
 - O'Reilly and Pearson Launch Joint Venture
 - An Interview with the User Friendly Gang
 - Keep Publicly Funded Research Public
 - Larry Wall's Apocalypse 3
 - Nine Things I Wish I had Known About Cocoa
 - Oracle9i's Improved RMAN

NEWS from O'Reilly and Beyond

GENERAL INTEREST:
--------------------

O'REILLY AND PEARSON LAUNCH JOINT VENTURE
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. and the Pearson Technology Group, a
division of Pearson plc, announced last week a joint venture,
launching
a new online information retrieval service for the enterprise IT
market--Safari Tech Books Online.  It's O'Reilly, and the best of the
rest. To take a look at Safari, go to:
http://safari.oreilly.com/mainhom.asp?home No UG discounts are being
offered on this service due to already low pricing.  To kick off the
Safari launch, we're offering a chance to win a $1000 tech book
shopping spree. No purchase necessary. Enter the drawing at:
http://oreilly.com/news/safari_drawing_0901.html For the complete
press
release: http://press.oreilly.com/safari_jvlaunch.html

According to SeyboldReports.com, Safari Books Online is Inexpensive,
easy to use, and loaded with high-quality content--the Safari online
reference service for IT professionals will provide stiff competition
for Books24x7.com.
http://safarijv:sa257ebz@www.seyboldreports.com/ebooks/features/011002-oreilly.html

AN INTERVIEW WITH THE USER FRIENDLY GANG
We visited Columbia Internet and spoke with members of the popular
comic strip.  http://oreilly.com/news/rootofevil_1001.html

MAC:
--------------------
NINE THINGS I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT COCOA
Practical advice to programmers getting started with Apple's Cocoa,
especially programmers used to command-line environments.
http://mac.oreilly.com/news/cocoatips_1001.html

SHELL SCRIPTS, COMMAND LINES, AND CLASSPATHS
For a look at Java programming on the Mac, read:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/10/02/osx_java.html

OPEN SOURCE:
--------------------
KEEP PUBLICLY FUNDED RESEARCH PUBLIC
Just as scientific research must undergo peer review, software
developed by publicly funded research should be released under an open
source or free software license, according to OpenInformatics.org. If
you agree, sign their petition at
http://www.openinformatics.org/dsp_petition.php

LARRY WALL'S APOCALYPSE 3
As the design of Perl 6 unfolds, Larry continues his analysis with a
discussion of operators:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/10/02/apocalypse3.html

PYTHON.OREILLY.COM
If you haven't seen O'Reilly's latest Python page, you may want to
gander at http://python.oreilly.com/ for the latest Python articles
and
books

ORACLE:
-------------------
ORACLE9i'S IMPROVED RMAN
Coauthor of O'Reilly's upcoming "Oracle RMAN Pocket Reference," Darl
Kuhn, writes about the significant improvements made to Oracle's
Recovery Manager: http://oracle.oreilly.com/news/oraclerman_1001.html

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE
Please email me to request review copies.
Press announcements are available for your use, please ask for a copy.

Two new Python books are coming...
----------------------------------
Python Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition - November
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonpr2/

Python & XML - December
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonxml/

REMINDER:
Your group members receive a 20% discount on all books purchased
direct
from O'Reilly, using the DSUG discount code.

EVENTS

The O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference is only four
weeks away!

New dates and location--as previously announced:
The Westin Grand
2350 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
November 5-8, 2001
FREE EXHIBIT HALL PASSES AVAILABLE

New keynote joining us:
Mark Lucovsky of Microsoft, architecht of the .NET My Services, will
discuss several Microsoft initiatives for building distributed
services.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/p2pweb2001/view/e_spkr/1079

Why attend the conference?
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

OTHER STUFF

If you have an announcement for your group that you'd like my help
with, just ask. I'm happy to include the info in an upcoming
newsletter.

If you're interested in having an O'Reilly author speak at your
meetings, we'll try to arrange something. Email requests to me. If you
have a travel budget for speakers, let me know.

Until next week,
Denise