Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 8th

Tim Chambers tbcatwork at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 17:20:13 CST 2001

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:37:43 -0800 (PST)
From: "Denise Olliffe" <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, November 8th

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
November 8, 2001

Highlights this week...
Books:
 - Oracle RMAN Pocket Reference
 - Java RMI
 - Perl for Website Management
 - Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics
 - Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition
News:
 - O'Reilly Conference Coverage
 - Thoughts on the Microsoft Settlement
 - Five Steps to Adding Physics-Based Realism to Your Games
 - Java Developer's Readers' Choice Awards
 - Introduction to Cocoa Graphics, Part 2
 - Dreamweaver: A Visual Tool for Serious Web Coders
Announcements:
 - Phil Schiller speaking at NCMUG meeting Nov. 20th

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members...

GENERAL INTEREST
--------------------

O'REILLY CONFERENCE COVERAGE
Today is the final day of the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services
Conference.  The O'Reilly Network has been covering the conference, and
if you'd like to get the latest conference news, weblogs from the
conference floor, daily photos, as well as articles by speakers, go
to: http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/conference/dc_con.html

THOUGHTS ON THE MICROSOFT SETTLEMENT
Microsoft's continued contention that they've done nothing wrong
remains the biggest block in accepting any proposed settlement, says
Tim O'Reilly. http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/808

FIVE STEPS TO ADDING PHYSICS-BASED REALISM TO YOUR GAMES
If you want to spice up your computer games, check out this overview of
the major steps you must take to develop physics-based simulations, by
David M. Bourg, author of O'Reilly's upcoming "Physics for Game
Developers."
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/11/01/physics.html

JAVA
--------------------

JAVA DEVELOPER'S READERS' CHOICE AWARDS
You can vote for Best Java Book, Best Embedded Java Application,
Best Java Modeling Tool, and more. O'Reilly Java books have won
"Best Java Book" award every year--if you're happy with our Java
titles, help us keep the winning sreak alive!
http://www.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2002/

MAC/APPLE
--------------------

INTRODUCTION TO COCOA GRAPHICS, PART 2
If you'd like to learn about 2D graphics in Cocoa, see:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/11/06/cocoa.html

WEB
-------------------

DREAMWEAVER: A VISUAL TOOL FOR SERIOUS WEB CODERS
Real coders do use HTML editors, and here's one that passes muster,
says Bruce Epstein, coauthor of "Dreamweaver in a Nutshell."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/11/02/dreamweaver.html

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
Press release can be found at http://press.oreilly.com/

JUST RELEASED:
-------------------
Oracle RMAN Pocket Reference
Order Number: 2335
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rman/

Java RMI
Order Number: 4525
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javarmi/
Sample Chapter 10: Serialization
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javarmi/chapter/ch10.html

Perl for Website Management
Order Number: 6471
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlwsmng/
Sample Chapter 8: Parsing Web Access Logs
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlwsmng/chapter/ch08.html

Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics
Order Number: 0804
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/begperlbio/
Sample Chapter 10: GenBank
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/begperlbio/chapter/ch10.html

Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition
Order Number: 2610
http://oreilly.com/catalog/lunix5/
Sample Chapter 2: Using Window Systems
http://oreilly.com/catalog/lunix5/chapter/ch02.html

ATTENTION NORTHERN CALIFORNIA USER GROUPS

North Coast Mac Users Group proudly presents:
PHIL SCHILLER, APPLE VICE PRESIDENT OF WORLDWIDE MARKETING
November 20, 2001
7:00 p.m.
Doubletree Hotel
One Doubletree Drive
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
http://www.ncmug.org/

Phil Schiller will be the guest speaker at North Coast Mac User Group's
monthly meeting on November 20th. Phil will be discussing the latest
and greatest features of Macs OS X operating system, highlighting the
recent release of version 10.1.  He will also detail the future of the
Digital Hub as Apple continues to specialize in the integration of
digital electronic equipment such as cameras, video cameras, mp3
players and cd burners with their computers. *This meeting is FREE and
open to the public*

O'Reilly will have a table at the meeting, so stop by and meet us and
support NCMUG!

UPCOMING O'REILLY EVENTS

O'REILLY BIOINFORMATICS TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
You've heard by now that we're hosting our first O'Reilly
Bioinformatics Technology Conference, January 28-31, 2002 in Tucson,
AZ. As an O'Reilly User Group Program member, you get a double
discount. If you register early, you not only receive Early Bird
pricing, you also get 20% off the Early Bird price by using the DSUG
discount code. Early Bird registration ENDS DECEMBER 7TH. Programmers
(especially Perl, Python, Java and XML) should be interested in this
rapidly growing field. For more conference information, go to:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/

I hope you are doing well, and life is good. Until next week....

--Denise