Query re: VB vs Perl for Windows based database tool development

Nigel Fowler c-nigel.fowler at wcom.com
Fri May 25 18:12:31 CDT 2001

Hi,

I am currently considering which development environment to use to create some
Windows GUI apps which access Oracle databases.  My two choices are:

1.  VB, using ADODB as the db connect method
2.  Perl, using Win32::GUI and DBI::Oracle

I'm leaning towards Perl, because DBI::Oracle properly implements OCI (for
free!), plus I have a reasonable amount of Perl coding experience.   I'm also
leaning towards VB because it has sweet GUI design tools, useful wizards, and
async SQL calls.

Does anyone know if Perl has useful form designer tools available which are
similar to VB?

I'm going to put a lot of effort into this project, so I want to ensure that I
choose the right environment.  Any input or advice most welcome.

thanks,

Nigel Fowler
RM Oracle DBA
c-nigel.fowler at wcom.com