DATA MUNGING WITH PERL: 2nd book in our library

Tim Chambers tbc at spamcop.net
Tue Mar 6 09:56:56 CST 2001

Manning Publications Co. sent the Pikes Peak Perl Mongers a complimentary
copy of DATA MUNGING WITH PERL by David Cross.
 http://www.manning.com/cross )

The transformation of data from one format to another, colloquially
"munging," is one of the most common programmer tasks. This new Manning book
examines this important process in detail and shows how well suited Perl is
for these tasks. Although aspects of data munging are much discussed online
within the Perl community, this is the first Perl book entirely focused on
munging.

The book covers appropriate methods for reading and writing various data
formats, from unstructured text files through record based file formats and
binary data, to highly structured formats like HTML and XML. XML is fast
becoming one of the most frequently seen data formats and this book is the
first to cover XML processing with Perl in some depth. The book culminates
with techniques for building parsers that will handle any file format you
are likely to need. If you are a programmer who munges data, this book will
save you time. It will teach you systematic and powerful techniques using
Perl.

What's inside:
~ Using CPAN modules like Number::Format, Date::Manip, Text::CSV_XS
~ Making your code concise using Perl's special variables (like $/, $" and
$_)
~ Building data parsers using Parse::RecDescent
~ Processing of HTML and XML

For a closer look at Data Munging with Perl, Manning offers components of
the book online: the Table of Contents, two sample chapters, the Index,
source code and direct access to the author's expertise via the Author
Online discussion forum. . Even those who do not own the book can tap into
these features.

MANNING'S USER GROUP PROGRAM...
Manning actively supports user groups by donating complementary copies of
our books for presentation at meetings, for raffle prizes and for group
libraries.

As a small but growing computer book publisher, we appreciate the value of
word of mouth. You can help by posting book reviews on a mailing list, on a
Web site, in a magazine or ezine, on a newsgroup or at an online bookstore.
Manning is committed to supporting the Perl community and we appreciate your
interest in Manning books.

---

Any suggestions for how to handle this new "asset" of the PPPM? If no one
has a better idea, I'll at least maintain a database so Perl Mongers can
arrange with each other to borrow from our "library." Here's the whole
thing:

Title: NETWORK PROGRAMMING WITH PERL