RESOLVED: suid perl script

John Evans evansj at kilnar.com
Wed Jun 6 15:48:42 CDT 2001

The perl script that I wrote for suid is now working. It was a Perl
configuration issue. Here's what was wrong:

I installed perl 5.6.1 with this method:
sh Configure -de
make
make test
make install

The "sh Configure -de" takes all defaults for the configuration, which
turns off the suid perl wrapper. If you take the time to answer all of the
questions, you can tell it to install the suid wrapper.

A fast way of taking care of this is to use "sh Configure -de" and then vi
config.sh and change:

- d_dosuid='undef'
+ d_dosuid='define'

- d_setresuid='undef'
+ d_setresuid='define'

and then do:
make
make test
make install

The issue that I have is that no warnings or errors were thrown. It would
have been nice if it had told me something like:
suidperl wrapper missing. Executing script without suid rights.

BTW: There is a security issue with suidperl in 5.6.0 and some older
versions. If you use this, make sur etha tyou use verison 5.6.1. of Perl.

--
John Evans
http://evansj.kilnar.com/