Fw: Newsletter #4 from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 13:00:21 CDT 2001

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:13:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter #4 from O'Reilly UG Program

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
Volume 1, #4

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK...
Books:
 - Programming C#
 - Learning Perl, 3rd Edition
 - Essential SNMP
News:
 - Coverage of the O'Reilly Open Source Convention
 - Top 10 New Features in Oracle9i
 - Rockin' in the Free Software World
 - Top 10 ColdFusion Programming Tips
 - Embracing the Web: Part 3

****************************
NEWS from O'Reilly & Beyond
****************************
I would be grateful if you would alert your group to the news they'd
find valuable.

GENERAL INTEREST:
-----------------
What is Meerkat, anyway?
Meerkat: an Open Wire Service
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/rss/2000/03/17/about_meerkat.html

APPLE/MAC:
----------
For a look at installing PHP on OS X, see:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/07/20/php_macosx.html

Macworld New York report:
Jobs' keynote steady, but no sizzle
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/07/19/macworldny_keynote.html

The Mac Devcenter is your source for news
http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/

JAVA:
-----
Two Lesser-Known Java API's
O'Reilly author Ian Darwin discusses regular expressions and JavaServer
Pages. For a comprehensive collection of Java programming problems,
solutions, and practical examples, check out Ian's recently released
Java Cookbook. http://java.oreilly.com/news/javacook_0701.html

OPEN SOURCE:
------------
O'Reilly Open Source Convention News Coverage:

TODAY, see the Webcast of the Mundie vs. Tiemann debate, from the
O'Reilly Open Source Convention:
Edited version--available late Thursday at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2001/
Complete Dr. Dobb's technetcast--available Thursday afternoon at:
http://technetcast.ddj.com/tnc_catalog.html?item_id=1267

Get the latest news, interviews and audio/video coverage at the
O'Reilly Network's conference site, including Craig Mundie's keynote
about Microsoft's Shared Source strategy:
http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2001/

Dan Gillmor on the Future of Open Source
In this Mercury News article, Dan Gillmor is both optimistic and
concerned for the Open Source Movement:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg072501.htm

HP Opens Cooltown Source Code
CNET reports that Hewlett-Packard will release the source code for its
Cooltown computing project under the GPL. The Cooltown project attempts
to make computing services ubiquitous by attaching Web pages to
everyone and everything. HP made the announcement at this week's
O'Reilly Open Source Convention.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6627735.html

Other open source news:

Do you rock?
Dave Phillips has written a guide to free software available for
guitarists who use Linux (and vice versa). The article includes
notation formats for file exchange, instrument tuners, effects
processors, and a few cool surprises: Rockin' in the Free Software
World http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/linux/2001/07/20/linux_guitar.html

Also see: A Response to the .NET Challenge
http://lwn.net/2001/0712/

ORACLE:
-------
Top 10 New Features in Oracle 9i
http://oracle.oreilly.com/news/oracleessential_0701.html

MICROSOFT/.NET:
---------------
A Response to the .NET Challenge:
The open source community's response to Microsoft's .NET platform is
summarized in this Linux Weekly News editorial:
http://lwn.net/2001/0712/

Embracing the Web: Part 3
The final installment of a three-part series examining the concepts
behind Microsoft's .NET platform:
http://dotnet.oreilly.com/news/netframework3_0701.html

WEB:
----
Top 10 ColdFusion Programming Tips
http://web.oreilly.com/news/coldfusion_0701.html

WIRELESS:
---------
Monitor your home remotely (although, my dog would probably object) by
using your mobile phone:
Home Monitor on a Cell Phone
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/07/23/monitor.html

BOOKS hot off the press--REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE

Please email me to request review copies.
Press announcement available for your use, please ask for a copy.
For UPCOMING titles, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

Programming C#
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/
Sample Chapter:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/chapter/ch18.html

Learning Perl, 3rd Edition
http://oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/
Sample Chapter:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/chapter/ch04.html

Essential SNMP
http://oreilly.com/catalog/esnmp/
Sample Chapter:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/esnmp/chapter/ch02.html

BOOK REVIEWS:
-------------
Thanks to all UGs that review our books, and post reviews online or in
monthly newsletters--we appreciate it. Here are a few online:

Java Metroplex Users Group reviews "Java Security, 2nd Edition":
http://www.javamug.org/reviews/ora/javasec.html

CedarLUG reviews "Learning Python":
http://www.cedarlug.org/
other O'Reilly titles also reviewed by CedarLUG at this site

******************************
ANNOUNCEMENTS from your peers
******************************
If your UG has an announcement that you'd like my help communicating to
other groups, let me know. I'm happy to include the info in an upcoming
newsletter. Please include complete contact info for your group.

****************
Throw me a bone
****************

This month, I'm searching for user groups with the following interests
to join the O'Reilly UG Program:

 - Wireless
 - .NET
 - ColdFusion
 - XP
 - C# or C++
 - Bioinformatics (Perl or Python groups may find this of interest)

If you happen to know of a group, please pass on contact info. Who
knows, maybe there's a goodie in it for you.

Until next week,
Denise